Friday, July 27, 2012

Is A&A cheaper than Rio Grande?...No.

All my fellow jewelry artists tell me that buying sheet silver is cheaper at A&A Jewelry Supply in downtown Los Angeles, than if I buy online from Rio Grande. Well I can tell you that its simply not true. Today, I went to A&A to buy sheet silver and wire, because I need them next week and don't have time to wait for a shipment. I also had birthday cash, and so was limited to that amount.

I wanted to buy 24g sterling sheet and 10g wire. I went online to see how much Rio would charge today based on the market rate for silver ($27.48). I chose a 6 x 2" piece of sheet to start. On Rio, the price was $40.58 for a 6 x 2" sheet weighing 1.29 oz. (36.57gr).

The same sheet, in size and gauge was $53.68 at A&A! Their market price was listed as $27.73/oz, though they weigh metal by the gram. The piece I bought was a hair less than 6" by the same 2". Their weight was listed as 42.6gr. Okay, I know that there are minute fluctuations in thickness and weight, but come on! The same weight would be $47.12 on Rio. Even adjusting for the increased cost of production of the sheet (around $31) I still should have payed around $46.73. That ends up being 13% more than Rio. Ouch.

I managed to get 7"(9.6gr) for $11.62, though I wanted more, I had to save out $ for parking. The same piece on Rio costs $9.96 (9.07gr). A&A cost is 14% more for the wire. Yes, I adjusted for weight and manufacturing costs.

Rio is the better deal, especially since they reduce prices as the total silver weight adds up.

Don't go to A&A unless you want to pay more. CA taxes are also obscenely high. A resale license would solve the tax issue.

Ps. Damn, silver is expensive.

my sad little $58 sheet of silver- its still pretty, though

No comments:

Post a Comment